Latest Press Releases
Keystone XL pipeline delay panned in Montana
Galt Testifies Before Revenue and Transportation Interim Committee
MPA on House Approval to Speed up Drilling
Understanding Intangible Drillings Costs
Economic & Fiscal Impacts of The Oil & Gas Industry in Montana
Extraction of oil/natural gas (Direct) 3,871 jobs (Indirect) 6,452 jobs
Drilling oil/gas wells 456 jobs 865 jobs
Support activities for oil/gas operations 1,622 jobs 3, 618 jobs
Petroleum Refineries 1,050 jobs 8,398 jobs
Transport by pipeline 500 jobs 1,586 jobs
TOTAL 7,499 jobs 20,920 jobs
How Fracking Helps Meet America's Needs
- Fracking is the injection of a fluid mixture of water, sand and a small amount of other additives injected deep in the ground to fracture rock formations.
- This process releases isolated pockets of oil and gas trapped in the surrounding shale rock that are otherwise inaccessible.
Advancements, such as horizontal drilling, coupled with increasing global demand for oil and domestic demand for natural gas, have turned shale drilling into a bright spot for the U.S. economy.
- Natural gas has become the fuel of choice for generating base load electricity -- the minimum amount of power needed 24 hours a day.
- Gas is still the preferred fuel for peaking power dispatched to the electric grid during times of peak demand.
- Natural gas could not play this role without the vast reserves fracking opens up every day.
- Fracking is currently responsible for more than 30 percent of U.S. domestic oil and natural gas reserves, and the National Petroleum Council estimates that 60 percent to 80 percent of all U.S. drilling over the next decade will require fracking.
Read more facts on safe fracking conclusions here
Fracking: Myth Vs. Fact
FrackNation..."The Truth About Fracking"
2012 Board of Oil & Gas Conservation Annual Production Review
"Drill, Baby, Drill": Montana's Oil & Gas Reality
Intangible Drilling and Development Costs
2012 Treasure State Journal
Horizontal Shale Drilling
Click here to find out how to become a Montana Petroleum Association member and all the great benefits it offers.